In this morning’s Toronto Sun, we learned what some councillors have been up to since the election: planning to CANCEL transit in Etobicoke. Councillor Mammoliti, who supported the Finch West LRT project just five years ago, and is currently under criminal investigation, wants to cancel the project as a Christmas gift for the new mayor. Help raise the alarm and ensure councillors and councillors-elect hear that this is NOT acceptable.
The Finch West LRT:
- is fully-funded for construction from Humber College to the subway at Finch & Keele, and the province is contractually obligated to negotiate operating costs with the city.
- is already part of a signed legal contract between the city and Metrolinx.
- has a completed Environmental Assessment.
- would link up to the new subway extension at Finch West station.
- would bring dependable, higher-capacity, and faster transit to priority neighbourhoods and to wards 1 (Cllr Crisanti, over 61k population), 7 (Cllr Mammoliti, over 52k population), & 8 (Perruzza, over 50k population).
- was recommended by the Metrolinx Benefit Case Analysis (2009), Pembina Institute (2011, 2012), Sheppard Transit Expert Advisory Panel (2012) and the TTC (2013) for the Finch West and Sheppard East parts of our city
- was SUPPORTED by Councillor Mammoliti in 2009.
- would open in 2020!
What does Councillor Mammoliti think Etobicoke needs instead? He literally said “a few more buses. The long ones.”
According to North York’s Councillor Shelley Carroll, former Budget Chief and rational transit supporter, there isn’t much time to protect this important project. Cancelling previously-approved, already-funded, already-delayed rapid transit is not acceptable.
THREE STEPS TO PROTECT FINCH WEST:
1. Email or call your councillor TODAY, and tell them you care about protecting modern light rail transit in wards 1, 7, and 8 and you’re watching their vote. (Even if you think your councillor already supports this, they need to hear from you. They can help inside council, but only if they think it’s important enough!) Note: Twitter doesn’t count for much unfortunately; a real phone call has far more impact!
2. Tell your friends on Facebook or in person about this issue and why cancelling this project would make transit worse in Etobicoke.
3. Email or call your Member of Provincial Parliament TODAY. They need to know that we care about this project, because politicians usually only hear complaints! Note: Twitter doesn’t count for much unfortunately; a real phone call has far more impact!
4. BONUS FOURTH STEP: write to CodeRedTO and tell us how your conversations went!
We Can Do This. But not without some effort. We need to show councillors that canceling the Finch West LRT would hurt Etobicoke, that cancellation is not wanted, and that cancellation is not “smart”. And we have to do it FAST – votes are coming surprisingly soon!